Living with diabetes?
With appropriate medical care and self-management of blood sugar (glucose) levels, you can lead a healthy and productive life.
Why manage your diabetes?
With normal blood sugar, you will likely:
- have more energy
- be less tired and thirsty
- need to pass urine less often
- heal better
- have fewer skin or bladder infections
By managing your diabetes, you decrease your risk for:
- heart attack or stroke
- eye problems that can lead to trouble seeing or going blind
- pain, tingling, or numbness in your hands and feet, also called nerve damage
- kidney problems that can cause your kidneys to stop working
- teeth and gum problems
Tips for managing diabetes
1. Know what type of diabetes you have and learn as much as you can about it.
2. Eat well. Talk to your health care team about what meal plan is best.
3. Be active most days of the week.
4. Get routine care. Know your blood pressure, A1c, and cholesterol levels.
Know the signs of diabetes
- Unexplained weight loss
- Excessive hunger or thirst
- Excessive sleepiness or tiredness
- Blurred vision or trouble seeing
- Urinating often
- Frequent infections
- Cuts or bruises that are slow to heal
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet
PHP wants to help!
PHP understands the importance of blood glucose testing. That's why we want you to choose the best meter for you. PHP is pleased to offer members the oppportunity to upgrade their blood glucose monitoring system to a OneTouch system, at no cost to you. Visit onetouch.orderpoints.com or call 1-888-908-4252 and use the order code 516GWH001.